Are you passionate about the arts? Environmental issues? Racial justice? Or maybe a place — Rehoboth Beach, Kent County or Wilmington? With a field of interest fund you can set restrictions and then rely on the DCF’s expert team to solicit, consider, and make grants that reflect your priorities.
Field of Interest
A field of interest fund is a tax-free investment account that generates a permanent source of charitable dollars that will make a difference on any issue you’re passionate about, now and in the future. Establishing a field of interest fund typically results in tax benefits for you.
The DCF uses its knowledge of Delaware and its most critical needs to direct grants to organizations and programs that are making a difference in the area you select. Your gift stays forever flexible to meet community needs in your interest area — even as they change over time.
Your endowed field of interest fund becomes part of the DCF’s permanent endowment for our community. You can be confident that the DCF will be here to honor and fulfill your charitable wishes in perpetuity.
How a Field of Interest Fund Works
- Open the fund with an initial gift to the DCF of $15,000 or more in cash or other assets, such as appreciated stock, mutual funds or real estate. Most establishing gifts are tax deductible.
- Name the fund and identify the field it will benefit. The DCF team will work with you to define your field of interest — such as “the arts in Delaware” or “children in need” — to drive the change you wish to see.
- Plan for the future by working with the DCF to design a succession plan for your fund, defining how it is to be used after you are gone.
- Choose an investment strategy from the DCF’s investment pools, or ask about way to keep your personal financial advisor involved, including through our Charitable Partners Program.
- Each year, the DCF’s committee of engaged, knowledgeable community members awards grants from your fund to address the greatest needs in your area of interest. The DCF selects a committee that has the knowledge and relationships to identify opportunities to make a difference in your selected field of interest, enabling us to make powerful grants on your behalf.
- Add to your fund at anytime to take advantage of additional tax benefits while increasing the amount available for grants.
- Review your fund activity online.
The DCF handles all the administrative requirements of the fund, from investments to paperwork. All funds are charged fees based on the DCF’s Fee Schedule.